Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rob in Wonderland...


I'm completely amazed by what has been happening to me since I flew out of Oz two weeks ago.

The "Borneo Post" ran a piece this morning titled "Author from Hong Kong keen to share her writing experience with Miri residents". Apparently, I'm still a Hong Konger even though it's 17 years since I lived there, and it seems I've already completed my book based on my experiences! Readers are urged not to miss my talk on 19 June in the far north of the state.

This morning I ran 10K again with Sim, Johnny and Madeleine (I misheard her Chinese name as "Akia", but Madeleine is her English name), and new acquaintance Lim. Before he peeled off, Johnny told me there is to be a charity fun run later this month to raise funds for children's cancer research. I Googled it and found a number to call. I was put through to Daryl Leong, who is organising the event. When he told me it's open only to Malaysians, I told him I'm writing about running in Sarawak and asked if an exception could be made for me. (I believe in asking for what I want!) He called me back and said that the powers-that-be had seen the "Borneo Post" piece and would like to invite me to run as an "international guest". Yay!! Daryl came by my hotel a few hours later with the entry form. He's 32 and totally besotted with Melbourne, where he did some of his studies. He is the corporate communications manager for the main sponsor of the event, which was actually his idea. He asked me if in the week leading up to the run I could be available to do some interviews with him for press releases! He said that I'll now be running the 7K course, though the website says "guests" do only 3K. (They include dignitaries, invited celebrities, and moi, apparently.) It's shaping up to be a real hoot. Lots of entertainment. The 7K course goes along the waterfront to the Chinese History Museum, up Jl. Tabuan, across to and around the Padang, then on-home. That doesn't sound like 7K to me. Maybe it *is* just 3K. Anyway, I'm going to give it my best shot.

I was incredibly lucky the other morning to pick Sim out of the blue to run behind. She is a core member of a rat pack of Chinese runners who have adopted me. During the run today I asked her what languages she speaks. Bahasa Malaysian, her own Chinese dialect, Mandarin and English, she said. I asked her which one she dreams in. Quick as a flash, she said: "German"! We were waiting near some piles of huge pipes for Madeleine and Lim to catch us up at the top of the big hill, and she said, "Let's take one and sell it." Sim's a card!

I've been trying to get through some work today while also gathering together things I'll need for my trek. I bought some cheap tops that I'll leave with Emily after they've been washed. She told me when I called by today after my run that she encourages friends to give her clothes they no longer want and she gives them to an HIV/Aids charity for distribution. HIV/Aids is a disease of the lowest socioeconomic class here, she said. I met another friend of hers today, Zarina, who works with the New Straits Times — in marketing.

I've added an excursion on to my trip next week, which I'll write about next week.

My throat is sore. I think I'm coming down with something.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robyn:
    I see no one is making comments - just wanted to say hello and that I am reading your blog with great interest. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete