Monday, May 7, 2012

Another weekend, another half marathon...

The BMO Vancouver half marathon this morning felt as slow as my recent halfs in Bali and Rotorua, but in fact I shaved 12 minutes off my times for those races. I'm still off my game, but I'm hopeful I'll get my mojo back over the next couple of months.



In any case, Vancouver turned on a fabulous event on an absolutely gorgeous day. The new courses for the half and full are very scenic, with views across the city and harbour to the snow peaks, and a long section through Stanley Park. It's a lovely city. Dead Runner friend Rita will also be pleased to have achieved her goal of a Boston qualifying time. I caught up with Rita and her husband George (I met them both in Austin, TX in February) and another long-time Dead, Vancouverite Vida, yesterday for a coffee.


Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver

My other goal while in Vancouver was to spend time with pal of 25+ years, Sarah. We started our long weekend on Thursday night at a fundraiser for Bard on the Beach, which Sarah's brother Christopher started here many years ago. It was really nice to see Sarah's mum Joy again. I spent a Christmas with Joy, Sarah and Joy's sister Darkie in Devon, in England, in 1989.

On Friday evening Sarah and I saw the award-winning Canadian film "Monsieur Lazhar", and yesterday we caught two films from the Vancouver DOXA Documentary Film Festival: "Mostar Round-Trip" (Israel) and "Scarlet Road" (Australia). I've seen some really good films over the past fortnight in Rotorua, Auckland and Vancouver, and I have 10 weeks of film-going in New York to look forward to...

Today after the race we collected Dora from the Rex Dog Hotel and Spa and drove up to where Sarah lives in a village on a fiord north of the city. Lunch outside in the sun, followed by gelato and time to read a chapter of Lionel Shriver's "The Post-Birthday World", which I found in a secondhand bookstore in Rotorua.

It's been a perfect few days.

I broke the journey from Auckland with an overnight stay at Venice Beach Suites in LA (my second time there).


My room was the one on the left above the blue awning.

3 comments:

  1. lovely to meet you yesterday in Vancouver Robyn! All the best in your continuing adventures. Vida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vida, hopefully I'll be back to run the sea wall with you... :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice, but after y'day, I've had quite enough of seawall running for awhile. Lovely to see you again, Robyn, I'm so inspired by your journeys and freedom.

    ReplyDelete